It’s the delicious new musical that became the crème de la crème of Broadway, but Sara Bareilles has confirmed Waitress is looking to transfer to the West End....
The Critics' Circle Theatre Awards announced
Groundhog Day takes Best Musical, whilst the National Theatre production of The Flick is awarded Best New Play...
Today the winners were revealed for The Critics’ Circle Theatre Awards 2016, hosted by our own critic Mark Shenton at the Prince of Wales Theatre in London's West End, where the invited audience was also treated to a special preview of Gary Barlow and Tim Firth's new musical The Girls. Congratulations to both the Young Vic and Old Vic, in particular, who celebrated two wins each with popular awards going to Glenda Jackson for her first stage role in 25 years and to Billie Piper for her role in Yerma, which she will reprise at the Young Vic this summer due to popular demand. The Old Vic's Groundhog Day was awarded Best Musical as it gathers momentum and heads towards its official opening on Broadway. Finally, a special mention also goes to Harry Potter & The Cursed Child which managed to take home (or back to Hogwarts) a total of three awards but lost out in the category of Best New Play to the National Theatre's production of The Flick.
Here is a detailed list of winners:
- Best New Play: The Flick by Annie Baker at the National Theatre
- The Peter Hepple Award for Best Musical [new or revival]: Groundhog Day by Danny Rubin & Tim Minchin at the Old Vic
- Best Actor: Stephen Dillane in Faith Healer at the Donmar Warehouse
- Best Director: John Tiffany for Harry Potter & The Cursed Child at the Palace Theatre
- Best Designer: Christine Jones for Harry Potter & The Cursed Child at the Palace Theatre
- Most Promising Playwright: Charlene James for Cuttin’ It at the Young Vic, Royal Court & The Yard Theatres in London, as well as Birmingham Rep & Sheffield Crucible
- The Jack Tinker Award for Most Promising Newcomer [other than a playwright]: Anthony Boyle in Harry Potter & The Cursed Child at the Palace Theatre