Further casting announced for the Tina Turner musical in London
Last month, it was announced that actress Adrienne Warren would take on the role of the iconic rock ’n’ roll legend Turner.
It has now been announced that Kobna Holbrook-Smith will play the role of Ike Turner, the musician who spotted Turner in her early years and went on to marry her.
The cast will also include:
- Madeline Appiah (Tina’s mother Zelma Bullock)
- Lorna Gayle (Tina’s Grandmother GG)
- Tom Godwin (record producer Phil Spector and lyricist Terry Britten)
- Francesca Jackson (Ike and Tina’s manager Rhonda Graam)
- Aisha Jawando (Tina’s sister Alline Bullock)
- Natey Jones (Tina’s father Richard Bullock and Tina’s first love Raymond Hill)
- Gerard McCarthy (record company marketing manager Erwin Bach)
- Ryan O’Donnell (Tina’s manager Roger Davies)
- Jenny Fitzpatrick (alternate Tina)
The ensemble will feature Tsemaye Bob-Egbe, Keisher Downie, Kit Esuruoso, Jammy Kasongo, Sia Kiwa, Jason Langley, Kayleigh McKnight, Baker Mukasa and Tanisha Spring, with swings Derek Aidoo, Gavin Alex, Edward Bourne, Candace Furbert, Hannah Jay-Allan and Rodney Vubya.
Kobna Holdbrook-Smith was last on stage in Hamlet at the Barbcian, in which he played Laertes opposite Benedict Cumberbatch’s Dane. His other stage credits include Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, Antigone and Death and the King’s Horseman for the National Theatre.
Tina the Musical, which has been written by Katori Hall, will be directed by Phyllida Lloyd when it runs at the Aldwych Theatre from 21st March 2018, with an official opening night on 17th April.
The production has choreography is by Anthony van Laast, with designed by Mark Thompson, lighting by Bruno Poet and sound by Nevin Steinberg.
Tina The Musical Tickets are available now.