Royal Court Theatre
The Royal Court Theatre contains two spaces - The Theatre Downstairs (Main House) and the Theatre Upstairs. The present building was built in 1888 as the New Court Theatre. It was used a cinema from 1935 to 1940. The building re-opened as a theatre in 1952. The English Stage Company took over at the Royal Court in 1956. In 1996, the interior was completely rebuilt, except for the façade and the auditorium, and reopened in February 2000.
Over 120,000 people visit the Royal Court each year, and the theatre is home to world premieres and plenty of new writing. Shows that open at the Royal Court have often transferred to the West End and Broadway.