Boulevard Theatre announces Ghost Quartet as first production at new Soho venue
Property entrepreneur Fawn James and artistic director Rachel Edwards have announced that Dave Malloy’s musical Ghost Quartet the first production at the new Boulevard Theatre in Soho.
The musical, which tells the stories of four people drinking and singing songs with interwoven narratives, has had a number of productions in America, as well as a 2016 spot at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe.
Ghost Quartet, which will run from 31st October to 4th January (previews from 24th October), will be directed by Bill Buckhurst, who directed a production of Sweeney Todd in a pie shop at Tooting Arts Club (which was founded by Edwards), before it transferred to the West End and New York.
Buckhurst will reunite many of the creative team from that production, including musical director Benjamin Cox, designer Simon Kenny, movement director Georgina Lamb, lighting designer Emma Champan and sound designer David Gregory.
James and Edwards have also announced a number of late and Sunday performances at the theatre including:
- Weekly jazz night curated by Alex Webb from 6th November to 18th December
- Finale, a late night Thursday performance featuring musical theatre stars, curated by Nadim Naaman (confirmed guests include Fra Fee, Nathaniel Morrison, Sabrina Aloueche and Claudia Kariuki.)
- Emerging comedy talent show hosted by Nina Conti and Kiri Pritchard-Mclean on alternate Friday nights from 8th November to 20th December
- Female-led improv comedy night curated by Julie Clare on alternate Friday nights from 1st November
- After Dark, a late-night entertainment evening featuring music, comedy and circus from 2nd November
The Sunday programme at the theatre will feature live podcast recordings on a Sunday morning (11am), afternoon concerts (2pm), and early evening poetry performances (5pm).
Earlier this year, we spoke to James and Edwards about the theatre, and got a sneak peek at the adaptable theatre. You can watch the video below.